About the Immigrant Welcome Centre
We help newcomers settle, adapt, and thrive in Campbell River, the Comox Valley, and northern Vancouver Island.
The Immigrant Welcome Centre, formally known as the Multicultural & Immigrant Services Association of the North Vancouver Island (MISA), is a registered nonprofit society.
We offer settlement support services, nationally-recognized Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC), and social groups and programs to help newcomers make connections in their new communities.
We also forge partnerships with organizations and people in the region who share our dream of a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive community where everyone thrives.
Our Core Values
The Immigrant Welcome Centre believes that:
- All people have a right to be treated, and feel that they are treated, with respect, dignity, and fairness
- All people have a right to privacy, and to be treated with confidentiality and respect to personal boundaries
- All people have a right to be and feel safe in their communities, neighbourhoods, and workplaces
- All people have a right to self-determination and to build their capacities to be self-reliant and independent
- All individuals, community groups, organizations, and employers need to understand and fully implement all related government statutes, regulations, and case law
- All people have a right to be included, and to not be discriminated against for reasons of gender, age, culture, race, language, religion, ability, social class, and sexual orientation
- All organizations have a responsibility for continuing to learn and implement best practices
We have a vision of a North Island region that embraces diversity and inclusivity while actively engaging with the vibrant cultures in the region, and where newcomers feel welcome, safe and respected.
Our organization assists local communities in attracting and retaining newcomers by providing education and professional services to members of those communities while offering advocacy for vulnerable populations and settlement services, thereby fostering welcoming and inclusive communities.
We are committed to implementing and being a model for these ethics statements in all of our work. In our relationships with customers, clients, funders, and stakeholders we commit to being: