Let us help you through our settlement services, employment resources, and school system support
We provide free, confidential services if you are a:
- Permanent resident
- Temporary Foreign Worker
- Naturalized Canadian Citizen
- Waiting to become a permanent resident (have been informed by IRCC or are a provincial nominee)
- International students with work permits
Learn more about these terms on our Who We Serve: IRCC Definitions page.
Are you a newcomer on the North Island?
Free One-on-One Support
We will help you settle into Canada and life on the North Island.
Make an appointment through our Courtenay or Campbell River office. We will ask you about your needs and create a settlement plan.
- Help you with government applications and forms, such as your permanent resident card renewal, Canadian citizenship application, Canada Child Tax Benefit, and Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security (OAS) applications
- Provide income tax intake and referral
- Provide resources and referrals about housing, health care, human rights, and more
- Connect you with our language assessment services and English language classes
- Connect you with an employment practitioner who can help you in your job search and provide information on training programs
- Provide community resources related to life on the North Island
- Help you with your Canadian citizenship test preparation
- Our staff provide support in a number of languages, including Vietnamese, Tagalog, Spanish, French, Russian, Japanese, and conversational Mandarin.
How does it work?
Meet with a Settlement Practitioner
Discuss your settlement and language needs
Get the help and programs that are right for you
Canadian Citizenship Preparation Classes
Become a better informed member of our community and prepare for your Canadian citizenship test at the same time!
Meet with our settlement staff to learn how you can access free citizenship preparation classes.
This program is delivered by supportive instructors and is for people who have submitted their Canadian citizenship application.
Do you want help finding work or training opportunities?
The Immigrant Welcome Centre partners with The Job Shop (WorkBC) in Courtenay and the North Island Employment Foundations Society (NIEFS) in Campbell River, as well as other local employment agencies, to provide employment counselling and support for newcomers.
Talk to a settlement worker to see if you qualify for employment counselling.
SWIS (Settlement Workers in Schools)
NEW! Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) can help your family integrate into your school community.
Our SWIS team connects students, parents, and caregivers with resources and services within the school system and helps them gain a better understanding of school culture and expectations.
This program is free for newcomer families and offered in the Comox Valley and in Campbell River in partnership with the School District 71 and the School District 72.
What else can we do for YOU?
Free English Classes
The Immigrant Welcome Center offers free English classes for immigrants and newcomers to Canada under its LINC* program.
See what is coming up and register for workshops, social groups or other events in your neighbourhood.
Social Groups & Programs
Our free groups have been created so you can make friends, practice English, and build your support network.