Close this search box.

Who We Serve

Who We Serve

An explanation of key IRCC terms

We serve newcomers to Canada who have settled on north Vancouver Island. What do we mean by “newcomer”?

Here are some key IRCC definitions.

IRCC:Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada. As its name implies, IRCC (formerly known as CIC) is the federal ministry responsible for admitting new immigrants (both permanent and temporary) and supporting them through settlement services, as well as administering the process of becoming a Canadian citizen.
Landed Immigrant:Landed immigrant is a term previously used to describe Permanent Residents. The term fell out of use in 2002, with the introduction of the Permanent Resident Card; however, sometimes you may still hear Permanent Residents referred to as “landed immigrants”.

Permanent Resident:

A permanent resident is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but is not a Canadian Citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries.

Live-in caregiver:

A person who is qualified to provide care for children, elderly people or people with disabilities in private homes without supervision. A live-in caregiver must live in the private home of their employer while they work in Canada.

Temporary Resident (TR):

A foreign national who is in Canada legally for a short period. Temporary residents include students, foreign workers and visitors, such as tourists.

Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW):

Foreign workers hired as part of this program are referred to as temporary foreign workers. They may get a work permit only after a Labour Market Impact Assessment has concluded that no Canadians are available to do the job.

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP):

A program that allows provinces and territories to nominate candidates for immigration to Canada.

Naturalized Citizens/New Canadians:

The formal process by which a person who is not a Canadian citizen can become a Canadian citizen. The person must usually become a permanent resident first. 


A foreign national seeking protection at an in-land office or at a port of entry.