The Immigrant Welcome Centre is currently accepting applications for a part-time Bookkeeper and Intake Worker.
Who we are…
The Immigrant Welcome Centre specializes in immigration and support services to newcomers who are settling in Campbell River, Comox Valley, and the North Island. Also known as the Multicultural and Immigrant Services Association of North Vancouver Island (MISA), we are a registered non-profit organization established in Campbell River in 1992.
As an award-winning organization, The Immigrant Welcome Centre is a respected leader in immigrant services and an active proponent for the sector. By fostering strategic partnerships and working to create welcoming, inclusive communities that attract and retain newcomers, we are an effective business partner in the communities we serve.
Who you are…
As a professional you pride yourself on the following attributes:
• You genuinely enjoy working with a diverse range of people.
• You have an energetic and positive approach to your work.
• You have strong general accounting, computer and documentations skills
• You are self-directed and have excellent organizational and critical thinking skills.
• Your passion for details leads to a high standard of professionalism
• You have the ability to work under tight deadlines.
• You genuinely enjoy building and maintaining collaborative relationships at all levels.
• You are excited about working collaboratively to achieve results with focus and flexibility.
JOB TITLE: Bookkeeper and Intake Worker
LOCATION: Courtenay, however will require occasional travel to our Campbell River office.
REPORTS TO: Finance Manager
WORK HOURS: 20-28 hrs. / week
COMPENSATION: Based on MISA Wage Grid, Level 5, $23.10 – $27.12 (+ fully funded benefits upon completion of 6-month probation.)
To assist in day to day financial operations and intake processes for clients.
• Establishing Focus
• Attention to Communication and detail
• Forward Thinking
• Analytical Thinking
• Capacity for Planning
• Technical Expertise Accounting
Maintains general accounting duties such as:
• Prepares deposits and records revenue (cash and cheques)
• Data entry of monthly expenditures
• Filing and accurate record keeping
• Assist with preparing annual operating budget and project budgets
• Assist with preparing reporting to funders including audits, expense claims and chq logs
• Assist in compiling records as required by the accountant for year-end
• Preparing bi-weekly payroll
Intake and Office Assistant
Assists with the provision of intake services:
• Greeting clients in a welcoming manner
• Answering phones and responding to inquiries
• Booking appointments and assisting in maintaining schedules for clients and staff
• Maintain confidential records
• Participate in department related and agency wide staff meetings
• Fill in as necessary for other admin staff
• Issue charitable receipts for donations
Qualifications and Skills Required
Post-secondary training in bookkeeping, non-profit financial management or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience in or outside Canada.
● Demonstrated proficiency in Excel, Sage Simply Accounting, and related financial software programs.
● Bookkeeping certificate or higher
● Fluency in English – (fluency in other languages a valuable asset).
● Strong organizational skills and ability to work under tight deadlines.
● Maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
● Experience working with diverse persons in the community.
● The worker must have a valid BC driver’s license and reliable transportation.
● The worker must have a satisfactory vulnerable sector criminal record check.
● The worker will follow the code of ethics and mission statement of MISA.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience
● 2 years bookkeeping experience in a non-profit environment.
● Experience using virtual platforms such as Google Suite and Zoom
● Accounting systems maintenance and development.
● Proficient in complex accounting systems and possesses strong understanding of technology in the area of financial management
● Knowledge of accounting standards related to non-profits
● Knowledge of GAAP, government regulations, and industry best practices in financial management
● Demonstrated teamwork and leadership skills. Solution-focused.
● Willingness to think critically, learn and grow in a dynamic work environment.
● Understanding of the dynamics and ability to deal with and represent a non-profit organization in a positive and supportive fashion.
● Ability to foster positive relationships with co-workers
● Experience working with immigrants and/or visible minorities; knowledge of the impact of immigration.
● Knowledge of community resources and experience working with community agencies.
● Knowledge and experience maintaining confidentiality, appropriate boundaries with other staff and clients in a professionally assertive manner.
This position description is meant to be thorough, but it is not exhaustive.
Therefore, other duties and responsibilities will be assigned from time to time.
Additionally, it will be required, at times, to work outside normal working hours and / or outside the organization’s facilities depending on the schedule of workshops, activities and events.
How to apply…
Applications must include a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the requirements of this position and why you want to join the Immigrant Welcome Centre team. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 p.m. on Friday, September 30, however application deadline may be extended if a suitable candidate has not been found.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team. Please only those candidates that are chosen to move on in the hiring process will be contacted. Good Luck!