The Immigrant Welcome Centre is currently accepting applications for a full-time Settlement Support/ Intake Worker.
Who we are…
The Immigrant Welcome Centre specializes in immigration and support services to newcomers who are settling in Comox Valley, Campbell River and the North Island.
Also known as the Multicultural and Immigrant Services Association of North Vancouver Island (MISA), we are a registered non-profit organization established in Campbell River in 1992.
As an award winning organization, The Immigrant Welcome Centre is a respected leader in immigrant services and an active proponent for the sector. By fostering strategic partnerships and working to create welcoming, inclusive communities that attract and retain newcomers, we are an effective business partner in the communities we serve.
Who you are…
● You have an energetic and positive approach to your work.
● You have strong computer and documentation skills.
● You are self-directed and have excellent organizational and critical thinking skills.
● You genuinely enjoy building and maintaining collaborative relationships at all levels.
● You are excited about working collaboratively to achieve results with focus and flexibility.
JOB TITLE: Settlement Support/ Intake Worker
LOCATION: Courtenay office with occasional travel to Campbell River/North Island
REPORTS TO: Settlement Coordinator
WORK HOURS: This position is full-time at 35 hours a week.
Based on MISA Wage Grid, Level 6, $22.10 – $24.13 (+ Employer paid Comprehensive Health Benefits Plan and an employer paid RRSP contribution, no matching required. This is provided upon successful completion of 6-month probation.)
The primary function of this role is to provide direct service delivery to clients by being the first point of contact at the front desk, facilitating access to IWC services, including client intake and setting up appointments, as well as ensuring all aspects of service and office management are supported administratively.
• Excellent Communication Skills
• Thoroughness and attention to Detail
• High ethical standards
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Ensure a welcoming environment for all clients by providing services in accessible language and communicating when language is a barrier.
• Answer phones and respond to inquiries. Provide general agency information as required.
• Book client appointments and assist in maintaining staff calendars communicating staff schedules, and client needs.
• Collect and maintain pertinent client Intake information and documentation at the front desk.
• Act as gatekeeper for front end operations.
• Maintain organizational and settlement information at the front desk and provide clients with relevant information as needed.
• Maintain reception and administrative office areas in a tidy and professional manner (front office, copy room, meeting rooms etc.)
• Assist with data entry in OCMS.
• Assist in coordinating and maintaining staff and organizational calendar(s).
• Assist with group program registration setup. Prepare materials for group program as requested.
• To assist with community connections by helping with marketing functions and organizing special events.
• Assist to manage and maintain office and office equipment (trouble shooting or reporting issues, facilitating service calls etc.)
• Maintain accurate and current filing system for office.
• Receive and maintain records of all donations and in-kind contributions using CRM software (Keela).
• Record accounts receivable on deposit sheets
• Purchase/order general office supplies.
• Collect and distribute incoming mail and e-mail.
• Assist in the preparation of correspondence, newsletters, reports and other internal and external communications and documents as needed.
• Assist with staff meetings, including preparing agendas and taking minutes.
• Assist in creating and maintaining strategic solutions for administrative systems and processes.
• Maintain Intake/Admin Procedures Manual.
• Provide administrative assistance to settlement team & management team.
• Maintain communication protocols.
• Maintain all information in a confidential manner.
• Participate and contribute as a member of the Administration Team.
• Follow MISA’s policies and administrative procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Attend meetings as needed including agency staff meetings, admin team meetings and settlement best practice meetings. Prepare agendas as needed.
• Post-secondary training in office administration or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience in or outside Canada.
• Three or more years general office experience that includes reception and administrative functions.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office, google programs and data entry (especially excel)
• Fluency in English – (fluency in other languages a valuable asset).
• Excellent communication skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of non-profit sector as related to this position.
• Experience working with diverse persons in the community.
• Well-developed planning, organizing and administrative skills.
• Ability to foster positive relationships with clients, co-workers and community partners.
• Excellent time management, organizational and critical thinking skills, self-directed.
• The worker must have a valid BC driver’s license and reliable transportation.
• The worker must have a satisfactory vulnerable sector criminal record check.
• Willingness to follow the code of ethics and mission statement of MISA.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• Demonstrated teamwork skills.
• Understanding of the dynamics and ability to deal with and represent a non-profit organization in a positive and supportive fashion.
• Experience working with immigrants and/or visible minorities, knowledge of the impact of immigration.
• Knowledge of community resources and experience working with community agencies.
• Knowledge and experience maintaining confidentiality, appropriate boundaries with other staff and clients in a professionally assertive manner.
This position description is meant to be thorough, but it is not exhaustive. Therefore, other duties and responsibilities will be assigned from time to time. Additionally, it will be required, at times, to work outside normal working hours and / or outside the organization’s facilities depending on the schedule of workshops, activities and events.
How to apply…
Applications must include a resume and cover letter detailing how you meet the requirements of this position and why you want to join the Immigrant Welcome Centre team. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please submit applications to: email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 12, 2023.
Note: Thank you for your interest in joining our team. Please note we do not accept any phone calls and only those candidates that are chosen to move on in the hiring process will be contacted. Good Luck!